Today, if you ask any person about the definition of fitness he or she will straightforwardly tell you that it is just hitting the GYM. But for Japanese people the definition of fitness is totally different. In a recent fitness survey in Japan, it was found that 90 percentage of the population of the country do not need a GYM to remain fit and healthy. There are many reasons how Japanese people stay fit without a gym that shall be discussed further.
What is the definition of fitness for the Japanese people?
- Well, for Japanese people the definition of fitness is not hitting the GYM, fitness for them is to achieve balance between the three areas of the fitness that are Mental, Physical and Spiritual.
- To achieve fitness in mental area Japanese people practice deep breathing exercises and Meditation. As Japanese people practice Buddhism, they practice Buddha Mudras on daily basis which make them feel calm and reduces their stress.
- Some Hand Gestures practice by Japanese people are: Abhya Mudra, Gyana Mudra, Parana Mudra, Anjali Mudar, Apan Vayu Mudra etc.
- The 20 minutes practice of hand gestures mudras with the combination of 10 minutes meditation helps the Japanese people to balance their body chakras and enhance their energy level as well as decay their ageing process.
- To achieve fitness in physical area, Japanese people exercise for at least 150 minutes a week. These includes 30 minutes mild jogging, 30 minutes brisk walk, jumping rope, burpees etc. While talking on phone Japanese people walk instead of resting on one place.
- These physical exercise make their heart strong and maintain good blood circulation in their body hence, healthy heart gives them longevity in their life.
- To achieve fitness in spiritual area, Japanese people do chanting of mantras and recite their sacred religious text, which provide them spiritual bliss and provide them internal peace and clarity.
- The average age of Japanese people is about 88 years compared to the rest of the world which is about 78 years. It is the balance between the mental, physical and spiritual areas which help Japanese people to live long.
Other things that Japanese people do for their wellbeing and fitness:
1. Music Therapy:
- In a recent study, it was found that Japanese people listen to music on an average of 27 minutes daily which is much more than the other country people, which is around 17.8 minutes.
- During listening of music, Dopamine is released in the brain hence which reduces stress in the brain hence the Japanese people remains stress free.
2. More focus on muscle than body fat:
- This is another bigger factor which contributes to the fitness of Japanese people.
- Japanese people toil for lean muscles rather than bulky muscle hence they choose their diet very carefully. Their diet is full with protein rather than carbohydrates and fats.
3. Avoiding Trans Fat:
- In a recent study by a medical institute in USA, it was found that Japanese people consume the least trans-fat in the world which reduces the risk of heart attack in Japanese people.
- In japan only 10 people per 1lakh die due to heart attack or any other cardiovascular disease, which is much less than other countries average.
4. Practicing Thai Chi exercise:
- Japanese people love to practice Thai chi exercise which make them fit and healthy. It involves circular movements with controlled breathing.
- Even to reduce the stress due to COVID-19 pandemic people of japan practiced this exercise on daily basis.
5. High immunity:
- Japanese people work on increasing their body immunity. For this they eat Wasabi, which is their “green gold” and has three times more nutritional values than any other vegetable or fruit.
- Green Tea with herbs extracts is also consumed by Japanese people, relatively more than other countries.
- Hence, now you might have understood that why Japanese people stay fit without a GYM still remain fit and healthy.